T R A V I S P R I C E A R C H I T E C T S is widely applauded for its innovative discoveries, theories and visionary aesthetic distinction. For three decades as its founding principal Travis L. Price III, AIA -- architect, author, teacher, philosopher, and environmental pioneer -- shapes an international architecture informed by ecology and mythology that restores the spirit of place to modern design. His prescient works, explicated in Price’s award-winning new book , The Archaeology of Tomorrow, demonstrate that green design and culturally diverse inspirations comprise the leading determinants in today’s modern global architecture.
TRAVIS PRICE ARCHITECTS buildings range from residential projects to large commercial and institutional architecture. TPA garners a litany of design awards for private homes, restaurants, offices, housing complexes, libraries, religious buildings, and institutional clients. With a principal design base in Washington DC, TPA projects span the U.S. as well as Asia, Europe, and South America. As a leading design firm, TPA often joint ventures with appropriate corporate architectural firms for larger scale projects.
As director of the graduate concentration on Cultures and Sacred Space at The Catholic University of America / School of Architecture & Planning, Price also leads the SPIRIT of PLACE / SPIRIT of DESIGN studios. His architectural firm co-sponsors and develops global design-build expeditions ranging from Nepal, to Peru, to Ireland. The on-site faculty includes practicing architects, construction craftsmen, artists, historians, shamans, priests, expediters, guides, and professors. Numerous journalists, photographers, botanists, and world travelers accompany the widely published expeditions.
Price lectures about his architectural works, expeditions, and the state of architecture and planning to audiences at such venues as the National Building Museum, the Smithsonian Institution, the National Geographic Society, and The American Institute of Architects. Internationally published in books and journals as well as featured in films and television on design and architecture, TPA’s works inspire and redefine the heritage and potential of architecture.
Price’s visionary questions speak to the heart of where the built environment is going and our place in and responsibility to it. Guided by a humanity-based perspective and desire for sustaining nature and culture, his quest for the mythic modern inspires a reinvigorated architecture of the 21st Century.
- B.A. Western Philosophy , St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland
- Masters of Architecture , Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA /
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Sho Dan – TaeKwonDo, Judo, Kojasho
- San Dan – Aikido
‑ New York
‑ District of Columbia
- New Mexico
‑ American Institute of Architects/Potomac Valley Chapter/Past President
- Board Member, VP, Maryland American Institute of Architects
- Contributing Editor, National Geographic TRAVELER Magazine
- Founding Board Member – National Center for Appropriate Technology
- Founder – New Mexico Solar Energy Task Force
- Board – The National Alliance to Save Energy
- Board – The Energy Task Force, New York City
‑ Montgomery County Energy Advisory Committee
‑ Washington Adventist Hospital Board of Trustees
- Takoma Old Town Business Association, Past President
- Founding Board Member and President of ‘Spirit of Place / Spirit of Design’
Visiting Lecturer & Adjunct Professor:
- University of Maryland
- Pratt Institute
- Princeton University
- Catholic University
- Yale University
- National Building Museum
- Carnegie‑Mellon University
- University of New Mexico
- Iowa Western
- National Geographic Society
- American Institute of Architects
- Telluride Mountain Film Festival
- Odegard, the Design Center
- Falling Water Institute
- Round the World Jet Expeditions
- University of Palermo, Sicily